To educate clergy, employees and volunteers in the Diocese of Belleville on how to prevent child sexual abuse, how to recognize sex offender behaviors, and how to create safe environments for children and young people in our parishes, schools and community.
The Office of Child Protection for the Diocese of Belleville was created to ensure compliance with Articles 6, 12, and 13 of the USCCB Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People. The Charter set forth that all dioceses/eparchies were to have clear and well-publicized standards of behaviors and boundaries (Article 6), maintain safe environment programs for all children and adults (Article 12), and evaluate the background of all lay employees, clergy, and all volunteers who would have contact with children (Article 13).
Over the years, the Office of Child Protection has become a resource to parishes and schools who share the Diocese’s commitment to protecting children and young people.
- Initial Child Protection training
- Annual online child protection refresher training
- Safe Environment training for children
- Site Administrator training
- Fingerprint Results
- Monitoring of the Criminal Background Check System
- Mandated Reporter training
- Provide oversight for compliance with the USCCB Charter to elementary schools, high schools, and parishes.